Looking for inspiration? Our list of 10 motivating quotes features historic figures, Fund staff, and grassroots activists on bringing social justice, dignity, and equality to all people.
These quotes reflect the voices of people striving for a better world and our own approach to investing in the world’s most effective grassroots activists and groups on tackling critical human rights challenges.
Where, after all, do universal human rights begin? In small places, close to home.
– Eleanor Roosevelt
Human rights mean the right to good health, a dignified life, and respect for the will of everyday people.
– Denia Castillo, land rights activist with MASSVIDA, Honduras
A right delayed is a right denied.
– Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
The achievement of social and economic rights cannot be separated from the protection of civil and political rights and liberties.
– Maria Alesi, Program Officer with the Fund
Local activists are changing the power dynamics in their communities—that’s what creates change over time.
– Regan Ralph, President and CEO of the Fund
Pride…is the freedom to express oneself… to walk in the street without be afraid of being judged.
– Jérémie Safari,LGBTQ activist with Rainbow Sunrise Mapambazuko), the DRC
You don’t solve climate problems just by going to Paris or Geneva. You do it by working locally.
– Leo Saldanha, environmental activist with Environment Support Group, India
Human rights mean no one sleeps hungry.
– Hassan Abdille, human rights activist (formerly with MUHURI), Kenya